Saturday, February 23, 2013

Daniel D. Hutto reviews Wittgenstein at His Word

I knew that Daniel D. Hutto had reviewed Wittgenstein at His Word but I had not seen the whole review before. Here it (or a draft of it) is at academia.edu. The reviews I remember reading struck me as having missed the point I was trying to make in the book, which of course shows that I did not make my point clearly enough. Hutto seems to have seen through the murk to what I was trying to say. His conclusion that "while the book makes a strong case for taking Wittgenstein at his word and gives an interesting view of what this means, it hardly supplies the final word" strikes me as fair, or even generous.

2 comments:

  1. Reading reviews of your own philosophy book must be a scary experience - it's bad enough for me with blog posts!

    Also, your book looks interesting (though I must admit I'm more on the Hacker wing of things). Is it available as an eBook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there's an illegal eBook version around, not sure about a legal one.

    Most reviewers are polite and try to say at least something nice, so it isn't too scary. Although if a book is really bad then it can seem only fair to the potential buyer to warn them off it. So far I haven't had the experience of receiving that kind of review. (Touch wood, just a matter of time, etc.)

    ReplyDelete